Setting: Manufacturing plant in Southern US
Employee count: 1,500
Beginning preventive screening rate: 35% bi-annually
Strategy:Risk-based premium credit program. $6 per month credit for not being high risk in the following areas: Blood Glucose, Tobacco Use, HDL, LDL, Total Cholesterol, BMI
- Screening rate increased to 99.5% of employees participating annually during birth month
- >60% of employees were high risk in one or more risk factors
- Screening included educating both males and females on how to perform exams of breasts and testicals using models with cancer; facilitating appointments for mammograms, colonoscopies, etc.
- Nurses also facilitated medical follow-up on risks by physicians, nutritionist, etc.
- Multiple additional medical issues identified via complete blood analysis including one case of leukemia in an employee who had not seen a physician in 14 years; two cases of hemochromatosis (end result is liver failure); 3 cases of breast cancer; 1 case of testicular cancer
- First 2 years of program 0% ROI due to cost of screenings and treatment of identified risks
- Year 3: Risk rate decreased to 40% of employees being high risk in one or more risk factors
- Year 5: Risk rate down to 32%; ROI 2.5:1