Coalitions across the country are taking action to support employers as they address the significant issues involved in managing pain in their covered populations. Here is an overview of some key activities.
- Florida Health Care Coalition: Launched the statewide “Better Pain Management Collaborative” to support employers with strategies to reduce opioid use
- Webinars from May and September 2017 meetings of the Collaborative
- Consumer resource for help educating employees about non-opioid options when having surgery: Plan Against Pain
- HealthCare 21: Created a Narcotics Task Force made up of key stakeholders; their main objective is to provide employers, providers, and the community with a tool kit to assist them in addressing the issue of narcotics abuse
- Washington Health Alliance: Issued a call to action with The Dr. Robert Bree Collaborative in January 2017, urging providers and health plans in Washington state to address the opioid epidemic, starting with opioid prescribing for acute, short-term pain.
- National Business Group on Health
- National Alliance of Healthcare Purchaser Coalitions: Held webinars in 2017 addressing various aspects of the opioid crisis