Did You Know?
- From 1999 to 2010, the amount of opioids sold in the U.S. quadrupled. But the amount of pain reported by Americans remained unchanged2
- In 2015, an estimated two million Americans had substance abuse disorders involving prescription opioid pain relievers3
- Drug overdose, driven by opioids, is now the leading cause of unintentional injury death in the U.S.4
- Sixty percent of overdose deaths in 2015 involved a prescription or illicit opioid4
- In a 2018 national survey by The Hartford, two-thirds of HR professionals said their companies are impacted by opioid use today or will be in the future, and 65% said opioid addiction is having a financial impact on their company today
MBGH and Pfizer collaborated to develop tools and resources to assist employers as they address pain management and inappropriate use of opioids, including:
- Employer Guide to Pain Management – supporting purchasers in creating a business case, using data to develop strategies to improve the treatment of pain and managing overall costs more effectively.
- Employer Toolkit on Addressing Pain Management & Opioid Use/Abuse – offering recommendations from the Employer Guide including employer best practices, and relevant information and links to valuable tools and resources to support employer efforts.
Pfizer supported both phases of this project.